OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Created by OnePlusYou - Free Dating Sites

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Meghan McCain Is Interesting

In a speech before the Log Cabin Republicans, Meghan McCain had this to say:

So tonight, I am proud to join you in challenging the mold and the notions of what being a Republican means. I am concerned about the environment. I love to wear black. I think government is best when it stays out of people’s lives and business as much as possible. I love punk rock. I believe in a strong national defense. I have a tattoo. I believe government should always be efficient and accountable. I have lots of gay friends. And yes, I am a Republican.




Nevermind the fact that the Log Cabin Republicans are about supporting gays within the Republican party, Meghan doesn't seem to be able to see past the "I'm not bad because I have gay friends" meme. This isn't to say that she doesn't advocate on their part in private, but if you're going to call yourself a "progressive republican", you need to prove it. By their very nature, Republicans - particularly within the conservative realm - are regressive.

And her placing tattoos, punk rock, and black coture on the same playing field as national defense and the size of governmnent intrusion into the private lives of the citizenry seems smell a bit off. Not because Republicans haven't frowned on counter-culture, because they have. But, if Meghan has a desire to be taken seriously, she needs to show it in what she says.

On that point, I'm guessing "tramp-stamp" for the tattoo and I'm hoping she's speaking more about The Ramones than Good Charlotte.

No comments:


The Playlist Of Doom



Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Blog Archive